31 December 2006

Out with the old

Here it is, the last day of 2006, and I guess we all should be shedding our skins in one way or another, making way for the new. But I didn't expect to see this happen literally. There's a snake skin out on the verandah, one half of it hanging overhead and swinging in the breeze. I walked out to take a photo of the sunrise this morning, about as alert as usual (ie. completely braindead) and nearly died of shock.

I'm so scared of snakes, or have been up until this year. I thought maybe I was starting to lose this fear though. On the three occasions this season that I've seen a snake, I've been more curious than afraid - for the first time ever.

But not so fast, baby. I took photos of the snake skin this morning - they're over in my archives** - but I was scared just standing near it. And I'm less than overly keen on the idea that somewhere nearby, probably overhead, probably in the roof, there's a snake who has outgrown its skin.

In many ways this is a stupid fear. Back in September one of the North Coast newspapers, The Village Journal, ran an article about snakes (warning: includes close-up photo of a snake's face) which included the following:

But what you may like to consider is that the snake that lives around or near your premises, be it in the paddock or garage, knows you, as it has lived within its territory since it was born and in some cases that can be up to 50-60 years. Most snakes have a very long life. It knows when you hang out the washing, it knows when you go to sleep and the coast is clear, it knows to stay out of your way. The one time you spot it sunning itself or hunting for food, it will be as surprised as you, but will not strike as long as you leave it alone, and give it a chance to get away from you. You have simply noticed it for the first time, whereas it may have seen you thousands of times before.
It's stupid to be afraid of them, in other words, because they want to stay out of our way just as much as we want to stay out of theirs.

Still. Who ever had a fear because it was sensible? (Apart from all those boring fears that can save your life, I mean.)

Am I reaching a conclusion with this post? No, not really. Here's the end. Out with the old, I say, but maybe it just takes a while.

** It's worth the effort of starting a secondary blog just so you can put things there and enjoy the groovy geeky pleasure of saying, "They're over in my archives, yeah!" :)