31 December 2006

Happy new year 2007

Photo by Deirdre: HAPPY NEW YEAR 2007 written in pen on a piece of snake skin... would you believe :)
This is me being damn proud of myself, reader! That's snake skin I'm holding up. Me! Holding snake skin! From a snake!

It took some baby steps to get this far, and that's my new year's resolution: taking baby steps, doing something rather than nothing, even if it's not much. That was my resolution last year too, but it fell badly by the wayside. So here we go again. Take two: baby steps.

And baby steps with a snake skin. It sounds like a joke. I took a few more photos and yeah, they're in the archives. I kept trying to focus on the thing as an object, something to investigate. And that was fine and interesting, but every so often I'd start thinking about it being a snake object - a snake, a snake!! - and that's when I'd jump up and do a bit of squealing and wringing of hands in a stupid and alarming manner, etc. But onward ever onward I went. Oh yes, it was dramatic...

:)

Baby steps from a geriatric baby. Here's how it went. First I lifted the thing off the rafter with a broom, put it on the ground, and indulged in some of the above-mentioned performance piece (squealing, hand-wringing). But then bit by bit I graduated from poking the skin with my boot, to wearing gloves and poking it with the end of one finger, to touching it skin to skin, no gloves, and finally: writing on the damn thing and brandishing it aloft!

Woo-hoo! I am my own hero!

Not that this means a miracle has occurred. I'm still scared. After finishing the photos, I threw the skin in the bin, but had to go back later and get it out and wrap it in newspaper so I couldn't see it anymore. It was too scary going near the bin. And this was just the remains of a snake, not even anywhere near the real thing.

But still. Woo-hoo.

Oh, and yeah: happy new year, reader :) May you find healthy wealthy wiseness this year, and peace and joy. Best wishes.